The GUI Desktop through VNC can be used to access the customer server in a GUI format. One example would be to go in to CUPS to manage printing. This is the equivalent of using Remote Desktop on a Windows machine. Be very cautious in making any changes to a customer server. One requirement would be to download a VNC Viewer program like TightVNC from the internet: http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php.
1. You have to start the vncserver first so it creates the .vnc directory and xstartup file. (vncserver :port (3,4,5, so on))
[l.lamb@Medsphere1(TEST) ~]$ vncserver :3
You will require a password to access your desktops.
xauth: creating new authority file /home/l.lamb/.Xauthority
New ‘Medsphere1:3 (l.lamb)’ desktop is Medsphere1:3
Creating default startup script /home/l.lamb/.vnc/xstartup
Starting applications specified in /home/l.lamb/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/l.lamb/.vnc/Medsphere1:3.log
2. Change directory to .vnc
cd .vnc (there is a space between the cd and the “.vnc”
3. Edit the xstartup file
Note: Once you have typed vi xstartup, you will be editing the xstartup file. Click the INSERT key and then move with your arrow keys to the lines mentioned and backup to delete the #’s. Once done removing the #’s press the ESC key. Then type :w to write your changes. Then type :q to exit the file.
# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
# unset SESSION_MANAGER (remove the #)
# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc (remove the #)
[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80×24+10+10 -ls -title “$VNCDESKTOP Desktop” &
4. After after making changes and saving xstartup, kill your current vncserver session and then restart so it picks up the changes you made to the xstartup file.
-bash-3.2$ vncserver -kill :3
Killing Xvnc process ID 13191
-bash-3.2$ vncserver :3
New ‘ovdev.beauregard.org:3 (j.french)’ desktop is ovdev.beauregard.org:3
Starting applications specified in /home/j.french/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/j.french/.vnc/ovdev.beauregard.org:3.log
5. Open VNC Viewer program and type the IP address of the customer server followed by :3 or whatever port you specified above.
6. Log off of the server by going up to the System menu and choosing logoff.
7. When you are done, don’t forget to issue the kill command on that session!
vncserver –kill :3
8. Go back and edit the xistartup file again from Step 3 and add back in the #’s to comment out the two lines.
1903 Wright Place, Suite 120
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Toll-Free (877) 633-7743